Das weltweite Magazin und der Marktplatz für Oldtimer-Enthusiasten – von Enthusiasten.
Das weltweite Magazin und der Marktplatz für Oldtimer-Enthusiasten – von Enthusiasten.
Recently a friend of mine was visiting Chester for the first time and was walking down Northgate. He looked up to see a wonderful inscription in brick at the top of quite an imposing building. It read “Westminster Coach and motor-car works”. I had never heard of this firm and can only imagine it`s c1905 -10 and they must have been quite a large firm to have such a building. Initial enquiries from a couple of local enthusiasts provided no answers. Does any reader know who they were and what became of the firm? Close inspection shows the brickwork to be very fine.
Words by Michael E Ware.
J. A. Lawton’s car engineering and coach-building company’s extensive Chester factory in Northgate Street burned down on 1st July 1903 (not 1910), with losses of £20,000. Presumably having rebuilt the Chester works with new signage, J. A. Lawton & Co, motor engineers and body builders of Preston, was advertising ownership there from mid 1905. This was their 1907 sales blurb:
“LAWTON AUTOMOBILES are a conspiracy between man, material, and machinery to produce the most perfect comfort and style with the greatest degree of efficiency and safety. Our body designers are artists; our workmen masters of their craft. No expense is spared in their materials, and our contracts include Mercedes, Panhard, Austin &c. Any make of chassis supplied or repaired at our Depots in London, Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, or GUILDHALL STREET, PRESTON. J. A. LAWTON and Co.”
In addition, the Westminster Garage ran the Chester Motor Cab company from at least January 1910 until 1913; Lawton’s had operated the first motor taxi in Liverpool in 1908, a 15h.p. Napier. By 1911, they were agents for Mercedes, Mettalurgique and Siddeley Deasey cars; by June 1912, had the agency for B.S.A. cars and in 1913, were Michelin tyre stockists.
However, the partnership of J. A. Lawton, 35 Hardman Street, Liverpool, was dissolved by the official receiver in June 1913, with a sale of 80 new and second-hand motor cars, 100 carriages, 50 bodies, numerous carts and related sundries. Thomas Lawton bought the name and good will of J. A. Lawton & Co. and continued to operate a garage and body fabrication business in Hope Street Liverpool, doing aircraft work during WWI, then selling Daimlers with Lawton bodywork, and selling cars until at least the late 1930s.
The Chester building, still locally known as “Lawtons or the Westminster Coach and Motor Works” was sold at auction in mid 1926.